Working with Apprentices
Information, advice and guidance for your Apprentice
People learn best when actively involved in their learning, when teaching an apprentice a new task, our experience has shown they respond best when knowing why they are doing things and why these things are important.
Some advice you may find useful when giving your apprentice instruction
- Assume no prior knowledge
- Explain why the job is done this way
- Use clear and simple language
- Include safe work practices in your instructions and examples of bad practice
- Ask the apprentice to restate the instructions back to you to check their understanding
- Make sure there are no distractions
- Make use of demonstrations
- Take time to show your apprentice how to do things the correct way. You may find it helps to break the task down into manageable pieces
- Allow time for the apprentice to practice new skills. Everyone makes mistakes, so expect mistakes and point the apprentice in the right direction
- Ask open questions to encourage the apprentice to think about the task e.g. “What are you going to do next?”, “How do you feel that task went?”, “What could you have done differently?”
- Ask questions to check for understanding, e.g. “What are the steps to check this component or part is correct?”, “What should you do next?”, “Why are you doing this step first?”
- Check with the apprentice if there is anything they don’t understand and test their knowledge with open questions. “What if…?”, “How would you…? “Why don’t we…?”, “Who should you ask if….?”.
Glossary of Terms
The young person that is placed with a host employer(s) for the duration of their Apprenticeship programme. They may be referred to as ‘learner’ by the Training Provider.
Is the organisation that will take responsibility for initial assessments, NVQs, technical certificates and key skills/functional skills training. They will manage the delivery of the Apprenticeship framework to completion. They are responsible for completing the Individual Learning Plan (ILP) and for working with the (host) employer to provide any assessment and verification of the apprentices’ progress, obtaining employer sign off of the periodic reviews towards completion.
Please complete the fields below to request a call-back to discuss our Developing U Apprentices.